December 29, 2009

Is $10,000 still considered Hiddur Mitzvah?

You've got to give Eichlers credit for being one of the best Jewish bookstores out there, but every time I go to there website lately my eyes immediately go directly to the solid gold kiddush cup that they now have back up on their homepage. The availability of this item isn't new (DovBear had a post on this back in 2007) but I've started to ask myself some questions about who exactly is the intended customer for such a gift. The tag line for the item is "Have you ever wondered what to get the special person who has everything?" Sure, but $10,500 for a kiddush cup seems to be a bit extravagant for a gift, even if it is for the honorees at your school fund-raising dinner or for a big Chassidishe Rebbe (I can't imagine any Rav accepting such a gift). Particularly nowadays when many families can't afford the money to do many other mitzvos, like marrying off their children or buying teffillin for a Bar Mitzvah boy, we should first give money towards those areas before purchasing such an item. Although, I can't help but imagine that this beautiful cup would be perfect for the Melech HaMoshiach when he arrives.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent post.

    It's possible that the $10k cup is meant to be a conversation piece for the purposes of marketing Eichlers, more than a practical kiddush cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting insight. It does makes sense from a marketing perspective. It grabs you attention and, at least for me, I've pointed it out to a bunch of other people.

    ReplyDelete